Wednesday 21 April 2010

I Wanted to Go Out and Change the World but I Couldn't Find a Babysitter

by Christine McLaughlin

I've just got back from some election hustings at Acre Hall Primary School in Flixton.  The hustings are going on till 9.30 but I had to leave after an hour because my three year-old was creating a fuss.  It made me wonder whether the problem of finding evening childcare is the reason why fewer women than men are involved in politics.  I say fewer are involved but I suppose I mean fewer are visible or elected.  Following the Leader's Debate last week, so many of my friends remarked on their overwhelming impression of politics as a man's game.  Depressingly, the most high profile women in the current General Election campaign are the wives of politicians.

What is the solution?  For a start, I'd love the chance to go to a child-friendly hustings event. If anyone wants to organise one, please get in touch and I'll be there, whenever it is.  All you need is a large room, a weekend afternoon, and a space at the back for toys, crafts and other activities to occupy tomorrow's voters. 

My immediate solution is to just turn up everywhere I need to go with my child in tow.  I must admit I thought twice about attending tonight's hustings.  Then I decided to go because parents with young children should be able to engage with the democratic process and if there aren't any facilities for that then we should all just keep turning up at these things until people expect that and accomodate us.

Trafford Greens have organised some events with parents in mind, including a Baby Disco this coming Sunday.  More information can be found here.  It gives parents with young children the opportunity to find out more about the Green Party and how they can get involved without having to undertake the difficult task of finding a babysitter.

I'm so glad to have the opportunity to vote for a party that includes women on an equal footing (it feels odd to type that sentence in 2010, but we women are still a long way from full representation in our elected bodies).  Our brilliant leader Caroline Lucas is an inspirational politician who has a real chance of securing a first seat for the Green Party in Brighton and Hove.

Another female politician, Labour candidate Kate Green, reminded me of how lucky I am to be able to vote for my chosen party.  Due to what I assume is some sort of administrative incompetence on the part of Labour's election agent, there won't be a Labour candidate in Kate's ward so she can't vote for her own party.  I did wonder whether Green might vote Green, but she explained she would be spoiling her ballot paper (i.e. writing on it that she would like to vote Labour but would not be able to). 

This reminded me that I used to spoil my ballot paper in the days before the Green Party was able to field candidates in my local ward or constituency.  The choice then was between Labour and Conservative.  I'm so pleased now to have the chance to vote for a real alternative to endless airport expansion, illegal wars and ever increasing defence budgets.

Trafford Greens' candidate Margaret Westbrook is a candidate who cares about the local community and will fight for the future of our planet.  Give her a chance, and your vote on 6th May and she won't let you down.

10 comments:

  1. This reminded me that I used to spoil my ballot paper in the days before the Green Party was able to field candidates in my local ward or constituency. The choice then was between Labour and Conservative. I'm so pleased now to have the chance to vote for a real alternative to endless airport expansion, illegal wars and ever increasing defence budgets.

    free sms
    Mixtape

    ReplyDelete
  2. woman and man are different from each other sothat you should cosider carefully to make them have more equal choice. woe=men is very sensitive.therefore, let's give them time to chang and have time to make a choice.Square One Condositunes gift card

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy Trenпрессформы изготовление I believe it's true. You are nice. Wish you a happy day.
    I thought so. it is always true. A matter of course. Thanks.good night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uebersetzungsbuero Muenchen

    Small Business Web DesignerWe really love your blog, i haven't seen you keeping the posts in in some time now. Is everything ok.
    I'd love to visit that random middle-of-nowhere pub!
    How great is the scenery, all nice and green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, I support Koenig Krieg and BAR for SYW battles ... but that's me :)
    Sounds like an audacious plan you've got! I can barely see the 15's now, so I decided not to shrink to 10's though they would be really handy for me in my condition!
    :)
    Ambrose
    PS> the guy who created the Fire and Fury for the SYW deliberately made his basing compatible with Koenig Krieg

    forumlinkbuilding companyGames Download

    ReplyDelete
  6. the only thing I believe in eternity and know that always belong to her. His love was the only thing holding him to know I also love ...
    Rental Managment
    scorshoppen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this with us. It's a real treat to see such history kept alive. My wife and I went over to St. Charles, MO this last weekend to see the Lewis and Clark celebration. You had much better weather!
    ForumLinkBuilding

    nevada job list

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like it would make for an interesting mini-campaign. I'm looking forward to your report and pics. Good luck with the English Civil War figures. It's a period I wouldn't mind getting into myself, having fought several games at my old club using Armati rules. I'm also horribly tempted by Peter Pig's 15mm Sudan figures, but that's another story... ;)
    ben 10 games

    rolex replica

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like it would make for an interesting mini-campaign. I'm looking forward to your report and pics. Good luck with the English Civil War figures. It's a period I wouldn't mind getting into myself, having fought several games at my old club using Armati rules. I'm also horribly tempted by Peter Pig's 15mm Sudan figures, but that's another story... ;)
    Boots Sale

    cute girls clothes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rahina!
    Like everybody I am running out time not out of ideas. It is so wonderful to paint outside, although it is sometimes very exhausting to capture the fleeting moment. Thanks!
    Inpatient Treatment

    Libros gratis

    ReplyDelete